Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Performance Arts and the Special Needs Community

Performing Arts schools are provided for mainstream America but what about our special needs community?  There are some spectacular programs across the US like SPARC and I want to create one here in Michiana.

In my experience as a music teacher working with children and adults with special needs, I have come to learn that my students want to perform.  The problem is in having no place or forum in which to shine their gifts to an audience.


So, this is my question to you?  Would you support having a performing arts school in our community?  A school where students would learn, create and perform.  Do you see the value in offering such a program?  I hope you see the value as much as I do.


The special needs community wants to SHINE for you.  What do you think?  Are you ready?  Is Michiana ready for its own special needs performing arts school? Select your answer on the poll above.


1 comment:

  1. Found the young woman holding up her painting during a Google search for artists with Down syndrome. Fantastic work! Who is she?

    Pardon my zooming in and instantly sounding critical when your profession is providing services to people with learning disabilities, but why isn't this artist named?

    ReplyDelete